This procedure provides guidelines for individual purchase request for more than $2,500 from vendors external to MUSC and detailed instructions for completing the Purchase Requisition. Note: Purchases less than $2,500 may be made using the Purchasing Card. When using the Purchasing card we encourage the purchase be made through the MUSC Marketplace. Using this purchase method will allow the University to capture the purchasing details. See Procedure 6.2.02-1.
If you haveThe following are requirements for purchases of goods or services greater than $2,500, including freight:
- Purchases between $2,500 and $10,000 require evidence to support that the price is fair and reasonable and must accompany the purchase requisition. This evidence can be quotations, internet printouts, or documentation of phone calls to vendors. The procurement officer must certify the price is fair and reasonable based on the documentation provided with the purchase requisition or through other efforts if no documentation is submitted with the requisition.
- Purchases between $10,000.01 and $50,000 require a Request for Quote issued by the University Purchasing Department and must be advertised in the South Carolina Business Opportunities Publication (SCBO). The requesting department will need to provide specifications so that the University Purchasing department will be able to generate the request.
- Purchases of $50,000.01 and above require formal written solicitations (Invitation for Bid or Request for Proposal) issued by the University Purchasing Department and must be advertised in the South Carolina Business Opportunities Publication (SCBO). The requesting department will need to provide detailed specifications so that the University Purchasing Department will be able to generate the solicitation.
- See Procedure 6-2.04 for purchases more than $250,000.
- See Procedure 6-2.05 for Sole Source purchases.
Purchases should be requested through the MUSC Marketplace.