Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
TTS: Autism Treatment and Resources for All Stages of Life: Empowering Patients and Parents
Autism Treatment + Resources for All Stages of Life: Empowering Patients and Parents
Friday, February 9, 2018 | Conference: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. | Reception: 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Medical University of South Carolina | Strom Thurmond Building | Gazes Auditorium | Charleston, SC
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
• Describe the diagnostic criteria for autism.
• Explain the role of the family in the treatment of autism.
• Identify and list treatments for autism.
Frampton Gwynette, M.D.
Director, General Adult Psychiatry Clinic
Director, Project Rex
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Medical University of South Carolina
8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Introduction and Brief Overview of Autism | Frampton Gwynette, M.D.
9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. Resources for Adults with Autism: A National Perspective | Linda J. Walder, Esq.
10:15 am - 10:30 a.m Break
10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Lowcountry Autism Consortium and Vocational Resources in Charleston | Robert Scharstein, M.D.
11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Additional Resources in Charleston: Project Rex and Beyond | James Truelove, MSW, Jennifer Warthen, MSW, and Nancy Warren, Ph.D.
12:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Lunch on your own
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Social Motion Skills: A Flight Plan for Success | Wendy Dawson, Director of Social Motion Skills
2:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. Transitioning to Adulthood: Building an IEP for Success | Bev McCarty, Director of the Parent Training and Resource Center
3:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Break
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. A Vocational Opportunity for Adults with ASD: The Autism News Network | Frampton Gwynette, M.D.
5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Reception and New Autism Initiative Launch
This workshop will be held on the MUSC downtown Charleston campus, at the Gazes Auditorium (Room 125) in the Strom Thurmond Building located at 114 Doughty Street, Charleston, SC 29403.
Click here for directions to the MUSC Visitor Parking facilities. Traffic into Charleston during rush hour can be extremely congested. It is strongly recommended that you carpool if possible.
Parking fees will NOT be covered by the Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences.
Received on or before 1/16/2018
Received on 1/17/2018 through 2/6/2018
- Click here to register online and pay with a credit card.
- Click here to register online and mail in payment.
- Click here to download a printable registration form and mail in payment.
- If you are employed by a STATE AGENCY and are paying with an ACH transfer, you MUST contact our office at (843) 792-0175 prior to initiating the transfer or your registration will not be accepted.
- If you are employed by MUSC a state purchasing card (P-Card) may not be used for registration fees. Please submit an IIT made out to:
Continuing Education Office
67 President Street, MSC 861
Charleston, SC 29425
You will receive a confirmation letter via e-mail once your registration is processed. If you do not receive a confirmation letter within two weeks of registering, please contact our Continuing Education Office at (843) 792-0175 to ensure your registration has been received.
Registration fees are transferable from one registrant to another.
In-kind support graciously provided by Panera as part of their Project Rex Spring 2018 Cause Campaign.
Interested in exhibiting or supporting this event, the reception, or autism initiatives at MUSC? Please contact our Team at (843) 792-0175 or email@example.com for more information.
Charleston is a place where sand castles are built across the harbor from historic forts, where children ride scooters down 300-year-old streets, and where you can see modern theater in America’s oldest playhouse. Less than 15 miles away, you can stroll the gardens of the beautiful plantations, bask in the sun on wide sandy beaches, sail, play golf, tennis or ride bikes on a luxurious island resort.
- The South Carolina Board of Examiners in Psychology will approve 6.5 Category A credits.
- The South Carolina Board of Social Work Examiners will approve 6.5 hours of general contact hours.
- The South Carolina Board of Examiners for Licensure of Professional Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists will approve 6.5 hours of continuing education credit.
It is the policy of the Medical University of South Carolina not to discriminate against any person on the basis of disabilities. If you need the services of the auxiliary aids mentioned in this act in order to fully participate in this continuing education activity, please bring this to our attention upon registering for the event.
Questions? Contact our Continuing Education Team at
firstname.lastname@example.org or (843)792-0175
Presented by the Medical University of South Carolina Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences