In a clinical trial, Mark Rubinstein, Ph.D., (left) and John Wrangle, M.D., used two drugs that have never been combined in humans before to slow the progression of lung cancer.
Nancy DeMore, M.D. is leading a clinical trial using frankincense to try to treat breast and colon cancer at the Medical University of South Carolina. The study was inspired by a research specialist in DeMore’s lab.
Nancy DeMore, M.D. teamed up with Clemson engineering students to work on a device that will improve patient experience and lower costs.
The MUSC Department of Surgery combines excellence in clinical care, innovation in research, and best-in-class training to advance the next generation of surgical leaders.
- Heather Evans, M.D., MS, Thomas Curran, M.D., MPH and Elizabeth Genovese, M.D., MS Join the Department of Surgery
- Heart patient says 'I do' at MUSC Health two days before surgery
- Families come together for 1st compatible kidney transplant exchange in state
- Childs large tumor leads to a first for South Carolina
- Student fights rare complication from common virus
- Teamwork makes heart procedures less invasive, reduces recovery time
- MUSC Surgical Oncologist Dr. Andrea Abbott Earns Certification for Hidden Scar™ Breast Cancer Surgery
- Pediatric heart surgery ranks nationally
- Surgeons Use Innovative Robotic Advance in Breast Reconstruction
- New procedure eases pain of breast reconstruction after mastectomy
- MUSC’s pancreas team named among best in country
- 3-D skull technology a no-brainer in neurosurgical cases
- Specialists at the MUSC Breast Center innovate to advance care for women with breast cancer
- New minimally invasive surgery for patients with tumors in the lower rectum
- MUSC-based startup wins National TechConnect Innovation Award
- Aaron Lesher, M.D., develops new app that takes the sting out of burn care
- Young Transplant Surgeon Wins Prestigious NIH Award
- John McGillicuddy, M.D., Awarded $1.11 Million NIH Grant
- Cancer immunologist Mark Rubinstein, Ph.D. helped design the clinical trial that will test whether a two-drug combination can boost some lung cancer patients' immune response to the disease.
- NIH $1.68 M grant funds research to help patients with pancreatitis, diabetes
- Minoo Kavarana, M.D. honored with 2018 MUSC Foundation Outstanding Clinician Award
- Mark Lockett, M.D. surgeon lead for the South Carolina Surgical Quality Collaborative (SCSQC), secured a $650,000 Duke Endowment
- Rochelle Ringer, M.D. recognized for Top Quality Care | named Hilton Head Hospital’s 2018 Physician of the Year
- Shikar Mehrotra, Ph.D. received a 2018 American Association of Immunologists (AAI) Careers in Immunology Fellowship
- Nancy DeMore, M.D. selected to the Top 10 Medtech Women in Southeast
- Aaron Lesher, M.D. received the ABA-Shriners Best Pediatric Burn Paper Award
- Derek DuBay, M.D. received a $335,000 Duke Endowment
- Katherine Morgan, M.D. honored with 2017 MUSC Foundation Outstanding Clinician Award.
- M. Lance Tavana, M.D. named Program Director for Integrated Plastic Surgery Residency Program
- Satish Nadig, M.D. Ph.D. named Communications Chair for the ASTS
- Nancy DeMore, M.D. appointed MSTP Associate Program Director
- Michael Yost, Ph.D. received a Certificate of Recognition from the State of South Carolina and the South Carolina Academy of Science, signed by Governor Nikki Haley, for excellence in scientific awareness
- H. Biemann Othersen, Jr. M.D. Honored with Naming of Pediatric Operating Suite
- Jean Marie Ruddy, M.D. received the 2017 Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society Early Career Faculty Research Award
- Katherine Morgan, MD, FACS named to New ACS Educational Program
The Department of Surgery hosts numerous educational and philanthropic events throughout the year. Learn more.
The Department of Surgery welcomes your questions and comments. To reach a divsion, Please contact our administrative offices.
Department of Surgery
Clinical Sciences Building Suite 420
96 Jonathan Lucas St.
Charleston, SC 29425
Chair: Prabhakar Baliga, MD FACS
Administrative Coordinator to the Chair: Andrea Forgacs